Monday, December 17, 2012

Diva Cup: Update #2

So glad I'm using the DivaCup! I've been fiddling around and trying to get used to it the past few days to prepare for this upcoming monthly cycle. In using the DivaCup I've been forced to become quite intimate with my own body. For instance, after I insert the cup I like to make sure it's completely open and around the cervix so of course that requires you to be very hands in you know.

I decided to learn to get used to it a few days prior to my period. First day on Friday I wore it for a full day and had no issues. On Saturday I got lazy and I didn't use it (still no period). Then Sunday came and I used it. Today I woke up (put it in last night) with it and decided not to removed until around lunch time. And what do you know, the cup was nearly halfway full after keeping it in for a full night into lunchtime today. I knew for sure that my period would start last night so I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I put the DivaCup in. There was no leaking onto my underwear and overall it was quite comfortable (ie, occasionally will forget I have it in). I'm very pleased; the learning curve (which really isn't that big of a deal) was well worth it.

Yes, it is a little bit messy, but the beauty of the cup is that you don't have to empty it at work. Empty once in the morning at home and then again at night. Simple; no fuss no muss. I usually like using flushable wipes during my period anyway so I think that could help with the messiness. You could bring a pack to work and keep them in a drawer somewhere discreet (or not, your desk, no one should be snooping around) to use. I like getting the Kirkland Costco brand with 10 packs of 60.

As for the stem, I cut it down almost completely. I think the makers of the DivaCup should maybe update both their models to have stems that are rounded  and closed instead of cut open like a tube. This way, if it 'pokes' it wouldn't be as irritable (it doesn't hurt when it pokes) and maybe fewer women would need to trim the stem. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment