Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Diva Cup: First Impressions

Placed an order for a DivaCup through Amazon (pre-chid birth/under 30 version) for $23.05 on Sunday 11/18 and today it was delivered! 


I also ordered eyelid tape, Eye Charm Double Eyelid Tape 50 count ($4.20) to mostly get the Free Super Saver Shipping but also trying to even out my lopsided eyes, which have been bothering me more and more lately (the right is single and the left is a not insignificant double lid). Total amount = $27.25

So back to the cup.

I first heard about this when I was a freshman in college. Back then, it wasn't readily available and the cost was prohibitive for me. Cost and convenience of purchase were really the only things holding me back (now it's available so cheap on Amazon) I was otherwise convinced that I would convert from tampons/pads to the cup one day. Environmentally friendly (ew, think about all the tampons/pads a woman uses and throws out in her life time...sitting in some landfill!), safe (can't get TSS), convenient (holds much more than even the biggest tampon), cost-effective (thinking about how much I'll save over the next few years..yes!), and of course comfort. 


Ok, so I've already drunk the kool-aid and I'm totally biased and convinced that it'll be unicorn tears and baby saliva. Well, just to remind you, I still haven't tried it on...yet! I'm on the last day (or two days) or my period and I'll try it as soon as possible and report back. 

The kit includes a small floral pouch to keep your cup in while not in use and a "Diva" pin. And an instructional pamphlet I still need to read through xD.  


After holding the cup in my hands I noted two things: it's a bit dusty (so I'll give it a rinse in cool soapy water) and the feel on the outside of the cup is very smooth. The DivaCup is made from medical grade silicone, stuff that gets used to make heart valves and such. That's why it won't cause TSS. Most seem to be able to keep it on for past 12 hours because it holds so much (and if you can't get TSS, then why bother emptying?) The stem looks kind of  long and the cup itself is a bit more rigid/stiff than I had expected. I guess I thought it would be super thin and soft but then it probably wouldn't work. And you can even measure your blood flow! First reaction to that was an amused smile but you never know...there could be women who need to monitor blood flow for their health. 


If you're wondering what prompted my memory of the DivaCup it was two things. I had been on my first BCP since January and it completely dried up my period...and made it weird in other ways. So I switched this month and wow..I soaked through my sheets. And I realized I didn't want to back to dealing with tampons...so naturally I though back to getting a menstrual cup. 

=] 

No comments:

Post a Comment